MISSION STATEMENT

Bored and don't know what to watch? Does music from the radio make you want to kill indiscriminately? Just take a look around I guarantee you will find something that strikes your fancy.

Sunday, November 8, 2009

In between days



Similar to the works of Kim ki-duk, So Young Kim's In Between Days is another classic example of quiet Korean cinema. With no soundtrack and limited dialogue this movie is an amazing work of loneliness and isolation. The film follows the awkward but very lovable Aimie, a Korean immigrant who speaks very little English and has only one friend, a boy who she is completely infatuated with. The chemistry between the two is wonderful, there were times I actually forgot they were actors not high school kids. That being said the main theme of the movie is loneliness so don't expect any gags or action. The film's stark realism leaves it feeling a bit dry towards the end but I felt that it served the purpose of the film well. I really felt a connection with Aimie and her troubles and towards the end I just wanted to be her friend. I know that sounds kind of silly but any movie that makes me feel this level of empathy towards its characters deserves a solid recommendation.

No comments:

Post a Comment