MISSION STATEMENT

Bored and don't know what to watch? Does music from the radio make you want to kill indiscriminately? Just take a look around I guarantee you will find something that strikes your fancy.

Friday, February 5, 2010

Love exposure

Irreverent, vulgar, silly, violent, confusing and hilariously bloody are just a few words to describe Love Exposure, a 4 hour long japsploitation romantic comedy, yeah that's right let that one sink in. Love Exposure is also one of the freaking best movies I have ever or probably will ever see. Its so brave and uncompromising but most of all its fun. I love asian shock, its one of the reasons I fell in love with film and this is the Citizen Cain of the genre. Now I don't want to conjure up images of an Attack Swim Girls Team vs The Unliving Dead kind of shock film, you can tell early on this was a labor of love. I think it also helps to have been exposed to some of Shion Sono's earlier films like Suicide Club and Noriko's Dinner Table. I loved both of those movies but they both felt like an experiment and in Suicide Clubs case like a half finished idea. Love Exposure though is complete from start to its 4 hour finish. I love that this flick was given enough time to play out otherwise you have the narrative mess of Nariko's Dinner Table. You really get to see the growth of the characters as they are thrust into one bizarre situation after another. I would not be doing my job if I did not mention there are more panty shots in this movie than any other in history. Its central to the plot and the way its handled is fantastic. This film tip toes all over the line of exploitation never going too far but probably a little intense for someone who has never experienced cinema from the far east (or been to 4chan). All in all I love movies that shatter the mold and do something never seen before and Love Exposure does so with undeniable style. The 4 hours flew by and I cant wait for this thing to hit American shelves because it has cult status tattooed all over it.
11/10

No comments:

Post a Comment